About our Program
What is Healthy Families?
As part of Healthy Families America, a national initiative serving more than 430 communities across the nation, Abilities Network’s Healthy Families Baltimore County (HFBC) program has been serving families since 1999. This program works with new mothers and fathers to develop supportive, enriching parenting practices that help their children and families grow to realize their fullest potential.
What area does Abilities Network serve through Healthy Families?
Abilities Network has established the Healthy Families program to serve families in Baltimore County, Md.
What is the goal of Healthy Families?
The goal of Healthy Families Baltimore County is to help parents create supportive environments for their babies and families. The program helps to ensure that:
- Babies are born healthy – Parents who participate in the program learn how to improve their chances of giving birth to a healthy baby.
- Children grow up healthy – Families who participate gain access to information on immunization, safety practices, and substance abuse prevention.
- Children enter school ready to learn – The program helps parents teach their children basic skills that will help them succeed in school.
- Children and families live in supportive communities.
- Families live in safe and stable homes – We work with families to find housing, education, and employment opportunities. We also work to decrease the incidences of child abuse and neglect, domestic violence, and juvenile crime.
How is Healthy Families Baltimore County Funded?
Healthy Families Baltimore County is primarily funded through grants from Baltimore County’s Local Management Board and other donors.
What can Healthy Families do for me?
If you are a new parent or are expecting a child, we can provide support and resources to you and your family. We are able to start providing support before the baby is born or within two weeks after birth. Once services begin they can continue until your child is five years old.
What kind of support can Healthy Families provide? We are able to provide information about resources in your community that will help you meet the basic needs of your family. We know that new moms and dads want the best for their children. We are able to share information about child development and activities that will assist you with meeting their needs. In addition, we can work with you to identify what you want to accomplish for your family and support you in reaching those goals. Last, but not least, we create opportunities for you to get together with other parents.
What resources does Healthy Families help with?
This depends on what you need. Some examples of areas we have helped families with include:
- Choosing a pediatrician
- Finding child care
- Locating housing options
- Improving relationships
- Stress management
- Locating employment
- Continuing education
Where will my services be provided?
We know that getting to meetings can sometimes be hard, so a team member will come and meet with you at your home. Family groups usually take place in the local community or at our office in Towson, Md.
Is this service only for moms?
Not at all! We strongly encourage dads, brothers, sisters, grandparents, or any other person who will spend a lot of time with the baby to be a part of our visits.
Want to find out more information?
Contact us at (410)-828-7700 or firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for information on the Healthy Families program.