Abilities Network is looking for an Accounting Manager to work as part of our Accounting Team. In this role, your accountability focuses on directing, creating and maintaining reports that summarize and forecast fiscal records and financial reports for Abilities Network. The Accounting Manager will report to the COO and work closely with senior leadership, overseeing the day to day financial function as well as strategic recommendations for the organization. Typical duties include: general accounting, internal auditing, cost accounting and budgeting.
What does this opportunity give me?
• Community outreach. Work with a diverse population.
• Pride. Work for a company that is passionate about our mission and helping people find their path to independence.
• A strong team and support system.
• Impact. Make an immediate difference in someone’s life.
• Ownership and responsibility for your position.
What will I do at Abilities Network?
Accounting and Administration
• Supervise two accounting staff performing AP, AR and payroll functions. Manage work allocation, training, problem resolution, performance evaluation, and the building of an effective team dynamic.
• Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
• Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for federal and state funders, foundations, and the Agency’s board of directors.
• Generate timely, accurate monthly grant billing to all public and private grant funders as required.
• Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns.
• Preparation of month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial statements
• Perform and review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, journal entries, account/balance sheet reconciliations, and corporate/overhead cost allocation.
• Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; Manage preparation and support of all external audits.
• Plan, and participate in, department and agency improvement and efficiency projects.
• Manage cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed.
• Oversee cash, investment, and asset management.
• Implement financing strategies and activities, as well as banking relationships.
• Coordinate the development and monitoring of budgets
• Develop financial business plans and forecasts.
• Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
• Prepare and maintain regular financial planning reports; Monthly profit and loss forecast by division (vs. budget);
• Complete analysis of financial results; Develop recommendations
• In partnership with senior management team, develop and execute analysis of various business initiatives (e.g., opening new operations, asset acquisition, new service launches).
• Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations, ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial/accounting functions and ensure all finance activities of the organization are in compliance with the organizational by-laws.
• Develop tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations.
• Under the direction of the CEO, engage the board executive and finance/audit committees around issues, trends and changes in the operating model(s) and operational delivery.
• Assist in establishing yearly objectives and meeting agendas, and selecting and engaging outside consultants (auditors, investment advisors).
• With intimate organizational knowledge of grants and program funding sources, make strategic recommendations within funding restrictions.
• Other: Demonstrates a strong understanding and dedication to Abilities Network’s MISSION and GUIDING PRINCIPLES. Actively promotes and represents agency philosophy through all interactions with both internal and external customers. Performs all miscellaneous duties as assigned necessary to fulfill the MISSION of Abilities Network.
What does Abilities Network need from me?
• BS in Accounting or Finance; CPA or similar designation a plus
• 3-5 years progressive experience in general ledger accounting, A/R, A/P, account reconciliation, financial statement preparation, cash forecasting and budgeting.
• Non-profit grant reporting/accounting experience strongly preferred.
• A highly motivated individual who is able to work independently, manage staff effectively and meet deadlines is essential.
• Leadership experience required; prior supervisory experience preferred
• Exceptional computer skills in the operation and functioning of all programs used by the organization, i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, MIP, PowerPoint;
What else do I get at Abilities Network?
In addition to an amazing company culture and team environment, eligible employees are entitled to an array of company benefits, including:
• Comprehensive health/dental/vision insurance
• Life/Long-term Disability insurance
• Paid time off (annual, sick, holiday)
• 403(b) Pension Plan
• Flexible Spending Account (medical, dependent care)
• Employee Assistance Program
• Anniversary day off
• Tuition reimbursement
• Employee referral bonus
• Jury duty leave
• Bereavement leave
Abilities Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, sexual orientation, or any other category covered by applicable law.
Location: Headquarters: Towson
Position Type: Full-time, Hourly