Abilities Network is looking for an Employment Specialist to work as part of our Community & Employment Partners Team. In this role, your accountability focuses on skillfully supporting individuals with developmental disabilities in preparing for, obtaining, maintaining, and succeeding in their employment endeavors.
What does this opportunity give me?
- Community outreach. Work with a diverse population.
- Work for a company that is passionate about our mission and helping people find their path to independence.
- A strong team and support system.
- Make an immediate difference in someone’s life.
- Ownership and responsibility for your position.
What will I do at Abilities Network?
- Assist individuals served in exploring their interests and experience and translating that into potential jobs. Help individuals identify their needs and preferences in work schedules, salary, location, and transportation.
- Actively support individuals and guide them in accessing appropriate employment resources to obtain employment in the community. Pursue employment opportunities that fit the needs of each assigned individual served.
- Continuously search and expand knowledge of community resources related to employment.
- Utilize multiple resources/connections to develop job leads for individuals, including in-store/business postings, job search websites, cold calling, in-person and web networking, and knowledge in the community.
- Actively develop positive relationships with employers throughout the community to facilitate successful placement of individuals.
- Maintain a strong understanding of individuals’ rights in the workplace, specifically under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Complete daily documentation of the work that was conducted with the individuals toward completing/achieving their goals.
What does Abilities Network need from me?
- High school diploma or equivalent, some college is preferred.
- Daily use of personal vehicle to travel within assigned region
- Excellent time management and customer service skills.
- Strong ability to think creatively and develop strong internal and external relationships and resources.
- Availability to work a 40-50 hour work week, including evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Technical knowledge to operate a lap top and use Microsoft office suite.
- Must be able to stand for periods up to four hours in duration.
What else do I get at Abilities Network?
In addition to an amazing company culture and team environment, eligible employees are entitled to an array of company benefits, including:
- Comprehensive health/dental/vision insurance
- Life/Long-term Disability insurance
- Paid time off (annual, sick, holiday)
- 403(b) Pension Plan
- Section 125 Premium Conversion Plan
- Flexible Spending Account (medical, dependent care)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Anniversary day
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee referral bonus
- Jury duty leave
- Bereavement leave
Abilities Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, sexual orientation, or any other category covered by applicable law.
Job Location: Southwest Baltimore County and Howard County
Position Type: Full-time, Hourly